After my friend announced she was pregnant, I had a vision! A vision of a bright, blue, lace blanket. I immediately knew this was what I was going to knit for her, and set about hunting down the perfect pattern and yarn! I love this part of knitting anything. I love the excitement of finding the perfect pattern and then spending HOURS agonising over which yarn to use! For the blanket I found a lovely 1950s shawl pattern from the website http://www.thevintageknittinglady.co.uk. The group of patterns is called Bairnswear and it was the fourth pattern in the set that matched my vision. The pattern originally used a 3ply yarn. The website…
My foray into knitting began with knitting squares for the Refuge charity blanket. I chose to do a three coloured striped square, a checked square and for the third square I used my own take on moss stitch. I completed two rows of K2P2, and then for the next two rows alternated the stitches with P2K2 and repeated this patter until the desired size had been reached. We then stitched all the squares together to make this slightly mishmashed blanket! For this project I used Addi aluminium size 5 needles and Sirdar Hayfield Bonus DK in Cupid, Grass and Charcoal.